Over the course of the past 3 years or so when I have been writing my blog, several people have asked me as to why I focus so much on financial independence ( FI ) as a goal when most people automatically keep working till they cannot do so. In some posts I have explained as to why FI is an imperative, even if you want to continue in your present job or profession and retire normally. However, the most important idea of being in an FI state is that it gives you the ability and confidence to live life in your terms.
What do I mean by living life in your terms? It simply means that you are able to do the things you want to do without having to worry about the financial impact of them on your future well being. There are only two conditions where this is possible. Firstly, you can inherit a lot of money and secondly, you work towards and attain an FI state on your own steam. Remember, in your life the terms are set by you, so it is not necessary that they will align with other people. For one person it may be the ability to stay in a huge mansion with all amenities, for another it can be the flexibility to travel as and when he wants and for a third it may be playing the stock market with some capital without the fear of losing it. Let me give you some more examples of what you may be able to do in the FI state – these are real life happenings with people who I know.
- A couple in their 40’s take 2 vacations outside India every year because there is just too much to see and they have the cushion of FI.
- A man who is a car enthusiast has bought a luxury car recently surprising many of his friends and family. He said that he wanted to buy it for about 2 decades but was able to do it when he understood that he was in an FI state.
- A batch mate of mine who is a Banker, left his job and started to do workshops on personal finance as it has been his passion for a very long time.
- A lady who has been a lawyer for 3 decades was able to switch to taking cases free for the poor when she realised she was well over the FI line.
I can go on with more examples but I think the point is made. Whatever your terms are, you need to be in an FI state to live life with those. Most of us work because we need to earn certain amount of money, for now and for the future. While we are doing that, we are unable to live life in terms of what we want – it can be a money issue or a time issue or both. Once you are in the FI state you will be able to reorganise your life in a way so as to do these things in a manner that fulfils your aspirations. To me, that is the essence of living – yes, there are times when you live for responsibilities and need to compromise on your personal aspirations but that is surely not a desirable state.
Coming to my personal example, what does being in the FI state mean for me? Also, to respond to the curiosity of many people, what do I do now and what do I plan to do in the future? Let me try and address it here :-
- I do some Consultancy work if it is of interest to me. As I do not depend on the money from it to fund my lifestyle, the flexibility of choice is great.
- As many of you know, I write this blog and am advising several people who seek me out. I have also made Holistic life and Financial plans for a few people who have reached out to me. Note that this is not my profession in any manner.
- I have been involved very closely with the education of my children and that is coming to an end now. Interaction with many IIM and B school aspirants through public sites is something I am passionate about. I am also part of the admission panel for IIM Calcutta.
- Conducting high end Consulting workshops for corporate organisations is something I love to do and will expand it significantly this year.
- Travel has been a passion for me since long and I am able to do it much more now. In the last year and quarter we have been to Kumarokom, Araku valley, Italy, Goa ( twice ), Konkan beaches, Durgapur, Ayodhya hills, Khajuraho and are now planning a short trip to Bali.
- Sports is another passion I have and I am really happy to be able to watch almost anything I want to nowadays. Looking forward to the FIFA world cup.
- I am toying with the idea of writing a book. Something may or may not come out of it but I will make a fairly serious attempt this year.
- I am also keen to explore the idea of forming a venture. The ideas for it are crystallised now and I will be looking for some founder partners soon.
When I measure all of the above against what I could have done as a CEO in a regular corporate job, I must say that I find this infinitely more preferable. The bottom line however is that I am able to do this only because of my FI state.
What is your ideal existence in life? If you are already having it in your current job or profession, great !! If it is very different from what you are currently doing then you need to think seriously about being in the FI state so that you can live in your terms.
After all you have only one life to live !!