In the last post I had outlined the way I arrived at the plan and the route for our Konkan vacation. Once this phase is over, the next tasks are to look at the bookings. In general you will need to book for transportation and accommodation. Of course, there is the issue about local conveyance as well but we normally deal with that when we reach our destinations – it is easier this way as you have greater options.
As I said in the previous post we were fine with the dates and did not need a fixed itinerary. As such I started with the air bookings. Let me take you through a step by step process so that others would be able to follow it easily:-
- I started by checking any 6 day range where the morning flight to Goa and an evening flight back to Hyderabad were reasonably priced. You can do this through many websites. http://www.makemytrip.com and http://www.easemytrip.com are normally the ones I choose to look at.
- In the first one you have a convenience fee of 300 Rs per ticket which is not there in the other one. However, the first App lets me get some cashback on the tickets as long as the charges are 6000 Rs plus.
- In this case the cashback was not working out so I booked the EaseMyTrip deal.
- We got a really early flight to Goa which will leave us enough time for reaching Madgaon station. Similarly, we got an evening flight from Goa.
- Ideally one should book about 60 days in advance to get the best rates but we started plans a little late for this trip. Even then the overall cost for the two of us came to about 10000 Rs which was reasonable.
Before booking the ticket I had checked the accommodation availability for those dates – 3 nights in Tarkarli and 2 nights in Ganpatipule. I chose the Maharashtra tourism properties as they had the best location and normally these places are tourist friendly. You can do only booking at the Maharashtra tourism website. This proved to be quite a bit expensive based on what rooms we chose. Unfortunately, the GST rate reduction had not happened by then so that was a double whammy. The total accommodation costs came to about 16500 Rs. Of course there were cheaper options in these properties and you can also look at other staying alternatives. However, these places and the rooms were aligned well to what we were looking for in a vacation, so it was all right.
The final part was the train bookings. We booked a chair car from Madgaon to Kudal and a Vistadome coach seats from Ratnagiri to Madgaon. I had again checked the availability before the other bookings and had been relieved to see that there were enough seats. The First journey was 670 Rs but the other one was rather expensive at 2520 Rs. However, travelling by the Konkan railway has been a long cherished desire and we definitely wanted to try out the Vistadome coach.
What are the other costs that will be associated with the trip. There are quite a few, but the ones I can think of right now are as follows:-
- Food – both of us love food and we are looking forward to sampling both Maharashtrian and Konkani cuisine.
- Transportation from home to airport, Goa airport to Madgaon station and back.
- Local transportation from Kudal to Tarkarli, sightseeing in Tarkarli, travel to Ganapatipule, sightseeing in Ganpatipule / Ratnagiri etc.
- Backwater and sea cruises + other water sports.
- Buying some souvenirs from these places.
While I do not really know what will be the costs here it will be safe to assume a figure of 20000 Rs or so. That will bring the overall expenses to the trip at 50000 Rs or so. Is is a tad excessive? Well, it can be done a lot cheaper but that depends on you.
For me, this is an amount I am willing to spend and am looking forward to our trip with great anticipation. I’m almost definite it will be well worth it and will update the readers through a travelogue once we are done.